A combined Oral Contraceptive Pill (OCP) containing derivatives of the female hormone Oestrogen and Progestin in low doses as Ethynyl Estradiol and Levonogestrel. Should be taken daily to avoid a pregnancy. Consistent and correct use provides you with 99.9% effectiveness.
Manufactured in Germany. It has been used by the Sri Lankan women for more than 50 years. There is no delay in conceiving after discontinuation of the pill.
What you should know about the oral contraceptive pill:
- Quick reversibility
What you should know about oral contraceptive pills:
- Oral pills are an effective contraceptive method.
- It contains the two female sex hormones (o estrogen and progesterone).
- Each packet contains 21 active hormonal tablets (yellow) and 7 placebo (brown) tablets (non-hormonal, usually containing iron).
How do Oral Contraceptive pills work?
- It prevents the release of eggs (ova) from the ovary.
- Thickens the cervical mucus making the sperm migration difficult within the female reproductive tract.
How to use the pill:
- Start with the first yellow (hormonal) tablet within the first 5 days of your period. (preferably 1st day).
- Take one tablet each day at the same time preferably at night.
- Follow the arrows indicated at the back of the pack.
- Bleeding will usually occur when one reaches the brown tablets. Even if you start bleeding when taking these brown tablets you must continue.
- Start a new pack as soon as you come to the last brown tablet.
- Pills should be taken even if you do not have regular sexual intercourse.
What are the advantages?
- Very effective. Failure rate is 8/100 women on the pill.
- Affordability and availability. It is available in any pharmacy, Family Planning clinics & with PHM’s.
- Menstrual cycles will be regular
- Less bleeding and less abdominal pain
- No effect on sexual intercourse